Skip to main content

Slightly off track

I got a phone call this morning shortly after Britt left for school, I figured she had forgotten something again, this happens about once a week with her...poor thing just like her mother in so many ways.  She didn't forget homework or permission slips but rather she forgot to turn the heat lamp off that she has on her baby chicks.  She asked if I could run out and turn it off because it would be warm today and despite my asking if she wanted baked chicken for dinner she insisted that I please turn the lamp off.  Of course I would.  After all what are moms for right? While out there I noticed they needed fresh food and water as well but I was unhappy with what she has been feeding them from.  So I headed to the shed in search of chicken supplies.  I know we have them, this isn't our first go round with chicks, we've had several.  I checked the small shed where all the feed use to be kept but turned up nothing.  So I wondered over to the big shed thinking I was sure there were no chicken things in there but maybe I could find something that would suit my need for them.  Looking around picking up this and that but putting it back because it just wasn't right I noticed a tote that appeared to have fallen from the loft and was looking like it was going to spill out.  This is where my train of thought got slightly off track, while getting the lid and about to place it back on the loft I realized it was some of my parents things that is stored there.  Took a look inside and and that train of thought got completely derailed sent rolling down memory lane.  There were so many things that my brother and I did in school from the early 80s (30+ years ago people) some newspaper clippings, letters, old school photos.  There was even and old Donkey Kong game for Atari (why I'm not sure but it was there too) there was so much to look at.  There are lots of things I want to share with my brother and his family and I hope we can make some time to sit and reminisce while we dig through a part of our past that mom must have felt would be important or special.  But I wanted to share just a couple of the gems I came across.  Oh how I love old memories. 
I finally pulled myself away from the tote and refocused on my first mission.  The chicks have better food and water dishes and me well I can't wait for mom to visit again so we can look through it all together. 

Thanks for reading

always
tammyc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18 already?

The reality of it really hasn't sank in yet I don't think, she still has one more year of school so that's probably why. My first born 18 years old.  Despite all the reminders of her age from my sweet girl, it truly does seem like only yesterday we were bringing her home from the hospital when all the sudden here we are just over 2 weeks past her turning eighteen, where did all those years go? I would love to be able to sit here and recount every single detail with you from the very start but that might bore you to tears and well she might kill me of I did that.  Because I can remember lots of little moments that would embarrassed her to death like how she was so scared of everyone singing happy birthday on her first birthday that she hid under the table crying and didn't want to touch the cake we got her.  Or of her and her bff having cupcakes in their diapers that nanny brought by after Cathy's party at school when they were only one.  Or of her and t...

Midlife crisis? Nah, just having a little fun.

I guess that is what some people call it when a guy nearing (ever so close to) 40 goes out and buys himself a shiny new (or not so new) motorcycle.  However that thought never really crossed my mind when Stephen asked to buy one off a guy he works with.  I wasn't thrilled with the idea, not because I thought he was having a midlife crisis, but because I thought there were plenty of other things we could spend our money on.  I said no.  We always talk about big purchases and agree when or if we spend the money.  I was sure this thought was settled and we would not be the owners of a motorcycle anytime soon.  Stephen had other ideas... Stephens toy He made the decision to get the bike (it really was a good price, I guess) and well now we are that crazy old couple that rides around on a motorcycle every chance at nice weather we get. Here is a bit of history...My dad had a Honda gold wing when we were little (I was like 13)  he and my mom wou...

Throwback Thursday

    Let me just start by saying straight out of the gate that I absolutely hate to be on the front side of any camera much less my own.  Now it isn't that I don't enjoy being in the moment, I do.  I just enjoy taking the pictures instead of being in them if that makes any sense at all.   With that said I'm glad I was on the front side of this camera this day.  I suppose all little girls dream of growing up, getting married and having babies.  I know when I was a little girl my friends and i would play house, we would more less mark of sections of the room as mine and theirs these sections would be my house or her house.  we'd have baby dolls name them fun names.  We had fun.  I don't know that I ever really thought about actually having children when I grew up.  And as I got older I remember that I didn't even want to get married when I grew up much less have any kids.  But we all grow up. And that guy comes along t...