Skip to main content

Grandma's apron


I wore this old apron yesterday while serving beans at the benefit we had in my dads honor.  To most people they seen an old, stained, ratty apron that made me look like an old lady.  To me and dad we seen a little hint of grandma at his benefit and when we reached the goal we were hoping to meet he said to me "it was grandma's apron huh?"   Yes it sure was.  She was watching all her friends and family come together when it was important,  setting aside our pride & differences to come together for a common goal. 

I wore that apron with pride yesterday and every time I put it on. (Though not often because I want to keep it as long as possible)

I have no idea when she got it and I have no idea when exactly I got it but was I given a box of her old fabric and such once and it was stuffed inside the box.  I was already all in my thoughts of her and all she meant to me (the oldest granddaughter) when I came across this precious gem.  It smelled old, like things tend to do after being stored for years and it had some stains on it (stains probably older than I am).  After examining it I could tell it was well used and it probably ended up in the box of fabric because she knew it needed a lot of repairs and maybe she planned to fix it one day or maybe she was going to use it for something else entirely.
All I knew was that I needed to preserve it.  I washed it stitched up what I could and gave it a good pressing.  It now hangs in my kitchen.  Not a day goes by that I don't think of her in some way.  I use the apron occasionally but for the most part it is just a little piece of her in my home.

That is the story of my old apron that made a public appearance yesterday.   

Thanks for reading. 
Have a great week.
tammy c

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18 already?

The reality of it really hasn't sank in yet I don't think, she still has one more year of school so that's probably why. My first born 18 years old.  Despite all the reminders of her age from my sweet girl, it truly does seem like only yesterday we were bringing her home from the hospital when all the sudden here we are just over 2 weeks past her turning eighteen, where did all those years go? I would love to be able to sit here and recount every single detail with you from the very start but that might bore you to tears and well she might kill me of I did that.  Because I can remember lots of little moments that would embarrassed her to death like how she was so scared of everyone singing happy birthday on her first birthday that she hid under the table crying and didn't want to touch the cake we got her.  Or of her and her bff having cupcakes in their diapers that nanny brought by after Cathy's party at school when they were only one.  Or of her and t...

Midlife crisis? Nah, just having a little fun.

I guess that is what some people call it when a guy nearing (ever so close to) 40 goes out and buys himself a shiny new (or not so new) motorcycle.  However that thought never really crossed my mind when Stephen asked to buy one off a guy he works with.  I wasn't thrilled with the idea, not because I thought he was having a midlife crisis, but because I thought there were plenty of other things we could spend our money on.  I said no.  We always talk about big purchases and agree when or if we spend the money.  I was sure this thought was settled and we would not be the owners of a motorcycle anytime soon.  Stephen had other ideas... Stephens toy He made the decision to get the bike (it really was a good price, I guess) and well now we are that crazy old couple that rides around on a motorcycle every chance at nice weather we get. Here is a bit of history...My dad had a Honda gold wing when we were little (I was like 13)  he and my mom wou...

Throwback Thursday

    Let me just start by saying straight out of the gate that I absolutely hate to be on the front side of any camera much less my own.  Now it isn't that I don't enjoy being in the moment, I do.  I just enjoy taking the pictures instead of being in them if that makes any sense at all.   With that said I'm glad I was on the front side of this camera this day.  I suppose all little girls dream of growing up, getting married and having babies.  I know when I was a little girl my friends and i would play house, we would more less mark of sections of the room as mine and theirs these sections would be my house or her house.  we'd have baby dolls name them fun names.  We had fun.  I don't know that I ever really thought about actually having children when I grew up.  And as I got older I remember that I didn't even want to get married when I grew up much less have any kids.  But we all grow up. And that guy comes along t...