Skip to main content

Budding artist? I hope so.


"The Sunset" By:  Valorie Corley
 Seems Stephen and I (who don't have an artistic bone in our bodies) have what appears to be a budding artist on our hands.  It all started a few months ago when my sweet girl came home from school the first week of high school and informed us that she opted out of school softball this year, my first thought was "what who are you to just decide what you are and are not taking in school"...my next thought was "ahhh, I love watching you play softball that breaks my heart"  but then she said she choose art instead.  What art?  I didn't even know you could draw (after all you are your mothers kid and God knows I do not have a drop of artistic ability in by body) anyway...So she is taking art class and she seems to enjoy it.  she is always working on a project for that class.  A few weeks ago she was after me to take her to Hobby Lobby so she could pick up a few things.  I kept putting her off and not getting into any hurry to make the drive over there.  One day she came in and handed me a sheet of paper.
Val-"here"
Me-"what is this"
Val-"my list of things I need from Hobby Lobby.  Since you wont take me you can just pick them up when you go to town tomorrow"
Me-"bahahaha...really now?
Val-"MOM, I need to paint.  so i need these supplies"
Me-"Well smarty pants, I need for you to get a job and start paying for some of your so called needs, we don't have the money to just rush out and buy all this.  Have you even thought about what this stuff costs?"
Val-"never mind...STOMP, STOMP, STOMP"
So a few days later I started feeling bad for not listening and not putting as much care and effort into her wanting to paint as we did her playing sports.  So I drove her over to Hobby Lobby to let her see for herself the price on all the things she thought she needed.  While there she admitted that yes this stuff is a bit pricey and that she would have to make some changes to her list and maybe even ask for some of it for Christmas (which is closer than she thought) we made a compromise and I did buy her a few things.  on the way home she told me the first thing she was going to paint was the sunset(seen above) and asked if I would hang it up for her. 
Needless to say, I am amazed at the amount of talent she has inside her and I hope that she don't get sidetracked from trying to find it.  I did mention to her that if she wanted to try to make some extra money that people might buy her work.  I signed myself up with an esty.com account where you can sell handmade items online so if she wants to try she can.(will she get rich selling things online I doubt it but why not see what happens)  Who knows how long she will ride this train, but maybe it will take her far. And when you see her ask her what she is working on, she loves to talk about it as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18 already?

The reality of it really hasn't sank in yet I don't think, she still has one more year of school so that's probably why. My first born 18 years old.  Despite all the reminders of her age from my sweet girl, it truly does seem like only yesterday we were bringing her home from the hospital when all the sudden here we are just over 2 weeks past her turning eighteen, where did all those years go? I would love to be able to sit here and recount every single detail with you from the very start but that might bore you to tears and well she might kill me of I did that.  Because I can remember lots of little moments that would embarrassed her to death like how she was so scared of everyone singing happy birthday on her first birthday that she hid under the table crying and didn't want to touch the cake we got her.  Or of her and her bff having cupcakes in their diapers that nanny brought by after Cathy's party at school when they were only one.  Or of her and t...

Throwback Thursday

    Let me just start by saying straight out of the gate that I absolutely hate to be on the front side of any camera much less my own.  Now it isn't that I don't enjoy being in the moment, I do.  I just enjoy taking the pictures instead of being in them if that makes any sense at all.   With that said I'm glad I was on the front side of this camera this day.  I suppose all little girls dream of growing up, getting married and having babies.  I know when I was a little girl my friends and i would play house, we would more less mark of sections of the room as mine and theirs these sections would be my house or her house.  we'd have baby dolls name them fun names.  We had fun.  I don't know that I ever really thought about actually having children when I grew up.  And as I got older I remember that I didn't even want to get married when I grew up much less have any kids.  But we all grow up. And that guy comes along t...

Midlife crisis? Nah, just having a little fun.

I guess that is what some people call it when a guy nearing (ever so close to) 40 goes out and buys himself a shiny new (or not so new) motorcycle.  However that thought never really crossed my mind when Stephen asked to buy one off a guy he works with.  I wasn't thrilled with the idea, not because I thought he was having a midlife crisis, but because I thought there were plenty of other things we could spend our money on.  I said no.  We always talk about big purchases and agree when or if we spend the money.  I was sure this thought was settled and we would not be the owners of a motorcycle anytime soon.  Stephen had other ideas... Stephens toy He made the decision to get the bike (it really was a good price, I guess) and well now we are that crazy old couple that rides around on a motorcycle every chance at nice weather we get. Here is a bit of history...My dad had a Honda gold wing when we were little (I was like 13)  he and my mom wou...