Skip to main content

Oh how quickly it fades


Its crazy how quickly one can go from having the best Christmas season to having a not so great season.  I posted last that my Christmas spirit was at a new high.  That I had all these awesome plans to finish up shopping and spend the rest of the days before Christmas just baking and having a great time.  Well as usual, nothing ever really goes the way it should...

I was sleeping quite well last Wednesday night only one more day of work before 5 off in a row.  I had huge plans to spend all that time with my girls and Stephen, maybe drive over and spend some time with mom and dad at their new "lake house" (aka their 5th wheel in an RV park on the lake)  They love it there and I haven't really gotten to see it in the daylight.  As it is always dark when Ive been to pick up Val & Britt.  Anyway...Sleeping pretty good when my phone started ringing, in the middle of the night (12:21 to be exact)  My phone never rings at that time of night unless something is wrong.  Mom was on the other end telling me that she and dad were at the hospital and that dad was having a hard time breathing.  I didn't wait to get off the phone before I was up getting dressed and letting her know she wouldn't be alone long that I was on my way.  (they weren't going to call anyone except dad said "better call tammy, she'll be mad)  Well yeah! 

upon arriving at the hospital we were told (by mom & dad)  It's nothing really probably just a respiratory infection or pneumonia.  Well after listening to what the Dr had to say and to his symptoms turns out it was far worse than that.  Congestive heart failure.  He was taken to the bigger hospital and there they sent him to the cath lab to see what exactly they were dealing with.  Time stood still.  For those that don't know me well my dad was the #1 guy in my life for 20 years (Stephen came along and I made room for both of them)  I am a true daddy's girl, in every form of the phrase.  I would do anything for him as he would for me. (or the granddaughters)  He has always been my rock.  My go to guy for any question that I couldn't answer or didn't like the answer someone else would give me.  He's my dad he is tough, strong and knows everything about everything.  (he has a hard head too) 

Well here I am a week after that night time phone call and he is doing well.  He had to have a triple bypass.  I don't know that I have ever really worried as much as I did this past week.  I know it was almost a year ago that we were in a similar situation with mom, but hers went so much quicker, we knew in about a day what was wrong and what needed to be done to fix it.  With dad it seemed to take forever! 

I don't know what has happened to me in the past few years, but I have become so cynical so "the glass is half empty" so negative.  I know when everyone would say, just have faith your dad will be ok.  the doctors know whats going on, trust God.  I would answer "I know"  and I do.  But something inside would not let go and let me fully believe that he would be ok.  I did not relax and believe it until after surgery on Monday and I got to see he was ok with my own eyes.  It was then that I went home and slept for what seemed like forever (its amazing what 14 hours sleep will do)  but because of all the stress I still felt so exhausted.

Its been a couple of days and dad is looking great, he is still in ICU but the hopes of him getting his own room back on a floor soon is looking good.  I am so thankful to God that dad did listen to his body and took himself to the hospital because honestly I'm not sure what life is going to be like without him.  But Thankfully this is not the time I have to worry about that.  He and mom will need to make some changes to their lifestyle but I believe they will be here for quite some time.

as for my Christmas spirit well it's still there...buried inside under the stress and sleepless nights and I am not sure it will make it back to the surface this year (I didn't even get to do my Christmas shopping for my girls) and baking well that isn't really going to happen either I'm afraid.  I will be spending as much time as I can at the hospital keeping my mom and dad company.  I don't even know if we get to be out of the hospital for Christmas yet or not.  Dad is a fighter and he is determined not to be in there at Christmas. so prayers please that we can sit around our Christmas tree at home opening gifts as a big family. (wonder if the girls like what I got them...wonder what I got them)  ;)

Today so many things are swimming in my head that I want to tell you  and all the things I want talk about, but I guess I will take it one day at a time.  Maybe I will get it all on here before I forget or find something else to share.
Thanks for reading

I wish you the best Christmas!

tammy c

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A good time

Yep anytime you get to spend the weekend at the lake is a good time.  My girls and I drove over to mom and dads place on the lake this past weekend (Stephen met us there on Saturday) I wanted to see them as it has been several weeks since the last time I had seen them.  Just wanted to share a few of the silly moments.  ~~~~> This is one of the little girls (forgive me Janae, I still can't tell them apart unless I'm looking directly at their faces.  I'm sorry.  I love them like crazy just can't tell them apart very well) <~~~~This is my girls making our purchase at the Dairy Deal.  This is a MUST when making the drive to Salina for any reason.  I have never had the food there but the ice cream products they offer are out of this world (unless you are a dork like Britt and order dippin' dots...those are just weird) Be careful when ordering a large...they are way too large (especially if you on a diet.  :) ~~~~> Here we are agai

Wonderful waste of time

 I tried to warn you that I had so much to tell you... So We have been spending so much time at the hospital with my dad.  I mean we were all there for several days (now we are taking turns-he's doing well and we had to go back to work).  And you know how it is everyone brings something to keep them busy so that they can ward off boredom.  Well Val had been using one of those round loom things that you can knit hats and such.  She had made herself one and while there her knitting caught the attention of one of my nieces (Katie) and she wanted to know how to make one for herself.  So Val being excited to show someone sat down with her and gave her the loom and some yarn and helped her along.  That girl made her whole hat.  She loves it and wears it everywhere already.  Before we knew it Haleigh was in on learning to make hats.  They were having such a good time knitting away while visiting with their papa and all his company.  I mentioned to Val that maybe they could make some

Happy New Year! !

I can not believe how quickly the years pass now that I am inching ever so close to 40.  Some people say "wow I dont know where the year went"  but crazy as it sounds I do know.   It really seems like yesterday Stephen and I were hanging out with some friends waiting to ring in 2013.  And here it is January 1, 2014.  It flat flew by.  At first thought I could think I don't know what happened to the time.  But given a few minutes to ponder it all I remember well what all happened (Stephen always gives me 9 kinds of crap about posting on Facebook or instagram but when looking back they help me remember all the fun we had).  We did some pretty great things in 2013.  We got to travel out of the country for the first time (to 3 different countries), made some new friends, sadly lost touch with some dear friends & got back in touch with some old ones.  Val got her drivers license and Britt started her first year of high school. We had some pretty great adventures and spe