Skip to main content

“What is this thing I keep seeing…geocaching?”

I have been asked this question several times the last few weeks, with the weather being nice more these days, the girls and I (and Stephen some) have been getting out of the house and playing outside more. This is good for us all. I must say it is so stinking much fun. So what is geocaching (sounds like geo cashing) It really is pretty simple. It is high tech treasure hunting. There is a website you should visit (www.geocaching.com) there is a short video clip you can watch that explains it pretty well. You start at the website and look for caches near you(out in the woods or right there in the city you live in), key the coordinates into your gps system and then go outside and find the cache. While out looking, the coordinates will get you within a few feet of the cache from there you have to look for it yourself a little(this is our favorite part-to see which of the 4 of us finds it first). When you find it depending on the size of the cache, there may be items inside the container if there is you are welcome to take something home with you as a reward for your find, but if you take something out you must leave something of equal or greater value(please don't just leave junk, make it fun for the next person to find). Be sure to sign the log so that others that find it will see that you found it. When you get back home you go back to the website and log that you found a cache. The website keeps track of all you find, you can add friends to your profile so that you can keep up with what they have found, (we look at Sarah’s profile a lot) (Britt always asks “mom has Sarah found this one yet…?” my answer is almost always “yes honey she has.”) while out on a little road trip this past weekend we stopped at the Roaring River to feed the fish, while there we found a cache Britt then said “ yay! Sarah hasn’t found this one yet huh mom” We have the most fun out looking and sometimes Britt finds something she just cant live without. She carries a bag full of stuff to leave incase she takes something. We have found a few items called “trackables” these items can be tracked at the website by a number printed on them. So far we have found 3 different ones. The first one was a small coin that started somewhere in Colorado and has been to Oregon and several other places before being placed in a cache near Sperry. The second one we grabbed was a little puppy key chain. Britt wanted to take it so she left something in its place, it wasn’t until 3 days later that we learned that it was a trackable. We now have to find it another home in a cache somewhere. It started in Stillwater OK so it hasn’t yet been very far. And the 3rd one that we found was while we were at the Roaring River. It started in Canada and has been all across the country and had made it back to MO. We grabbed it and carried it home with us to place it in an Oklahoma cache. We haven’t really found that many caches, we did only start in November then it got cold on us. It isn’t any kind of race for us to see how many we can get(other than Britt needing to know if she beat Sarah to one), we just enjoy the time outside together playing and searching for treasure. I know this was kind of a rambling page today, but I just wanted to share my excitement about this fun family activity with everyone…and if you go to the website you can create a membership(for free) so you can start you own treasure hunting adventure please remember to look us up(stvbCorley4) and add us as a friend on your profile. We would love to see the fun you have while caching. And holler at us anytime you need a caching partner, we love to go out and have fun. Go online, I think you will be suprised to see how many are near you and then look for your favorite places.  There are caches hidden all over the world.  Hope you have fun out there.  Holler back and let me know what you think of geocaching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A good time

Yep anytime you get to spend the weekend at the lake is a good time.  My girls and I drove over to mom and dads place on the lake this past weekend (Stephen met us there on Saturday) I wanted to see them as it has been several weeks since the last time I had seen them.  Just wanted to share a few of the silly moments.  ~~~~> This is one of the little girls (forgive me Janae, I still can't tell them apart unless I'm looking directly at their faces.  I'm sorry.  I love them like crazy just can't tell them apart very well) <~~~~This is my girls making our purchase at the Dairy Deal.  This is a MUST when making the drive to Salina for any reason.  I have never had the food there but the ice cream products they offer are out of this world (unless you are a dork like Britt and order dippin' dots...those are just weird) Be careful when ordering a large...they are way too large (especially if you on a diet.  :) ~~~~> Here we are agai

Happy New Year! !

I can not believe how quickly the years pass now that I am inching ever so close to 40.  Some people say "wow I dont know where the year went"  but crazy as it sounds I do know.   It really seems like yesterday Stephen and I were hanging out with some friends waiting to ring in 2013.  And here it is January 1, 2014.  It flat flew by.  At first thought I could think I don't know what happened to the time.  But given a few minutes to ponder it all I remember well what all happened (Stephen always gives me 9 kinds of crap about posting on Facebook or instagram but when looking back they help me remember all the fun we had).  We did some pretty great things in 2013.  We got to travel out of the country for the first time (to 3 different countries), made some new friends, sadly lost touch with some dear friends & got back in touch with some old ones.  Val got her drivers license and Britt started her first year of high school. We had some pretty great adventures and spe

Wonderful waste of time

 I tried to warn you that I had so much to tell you... So We have been spending so much time at the hospital with my dad.  I mean we were all there for several days (now we are taking turns-he's doing well and we had to go back to work).  And you know how it is everyone brings something to keep them busy so that they can ward off boredom.  Well Val had been using one of those round loom things that you can knit hats and such.  She had made herself one and while there her knitting caught the attention of one of my nieces (Katie) and she wanted to know how to make one for herself.  So Val being excited to show someone sat down with her and gave her the loom and some yarn and helped her along.  That girl made her whole hat.  She loves it and wears it everywhere already.  Before we knew it Haleigh was in on learning to make hats.  They were having such a good time knitting away while visiting with their papa and all his company.  I mentioned to Val that maybe they could make some