Skip to main content

How does your garden grow


planting onions for Papa :)

Well it seems like only last week when we were out tilling, raking and planting our little garden (with the help of Papa)  Some would say this was walking on the edge of child labor
<~~~ or that it was just a posed picture because there isn't any way you can get all 5 of those girls to work in the garden at the same time.  Well that may be true now that the weeding needs  to be done and its nearing 100 degrees out, but at planting time they were all fighting over who got to plant what.  It was fun because it was new.  Its been just over a month and a half and things are coming along pretty great. I know, it seems nuts that I am so excited to be growing a garden. I tried this once with very little results.  As I have mentioned I have my dad helping out so very much, and well everyone is helping really.  Stephen, the girls(when they have nothing better to do) and Katie, Christie and Haleigh.  Now Katie and Christie are helping because they still think this stuff is fun.  I think Haleigh was helping because she wants to make papa happy.  God love these girls, everyone of them want to do that really.  Anyway so we started with the plowing and such a few weeks ago, the last week of April really and that last weekend we planted peanuts, potatoes and tomatoes. mothers day weekend we planted so much more.  onions(red & white), lettuce, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, squash(4 different kinds), watermelons(sugar baby & black diamond...mmm), cantaloupe, corn, more tomatoes(7 different kinds...because you can never have too many tomatoes right?) bell peppers(3 different colors), jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, garlic, green beans and okra.  Well I think that is all we planted, but I am sure as soon as I post this I will remember something that I have forgotten.  Oh and yes a flower (play) house for Katie and Christie.(its silly, but they were so excited) you will have to wait for pics of that, I'm sure it is going to be great. 
Just a couple of weeks into it and you can see
lots of green out there in that patch of dirt.


Anyway the first Wednesday after planting, i went out to water everything (and pray that the Lord would help us out on this part at least once a week to save on the water bill a bit.) and noticed that nearly everything we had planted had come up.  I know that don't sound believable, but sure enough it was there.  I don't have a photo to post to show you, but only a couple of weeks into it  this is what we had. ~~~>
  I have to admit I was sure only half of what we planted would actually make it to harvest time.   But here we are mid June and we are really starting to get yummy veggies fresh from our own garden. 
                                                       
First salad fresh from the garden!

I was so excited the day that I finally got to pick enough lettuce and spinach to make a small salad, now we're getting a little of everything. cucumbers, onions, green tomatoes, squash and we are waiting...waiting...waiting on the watermelon to do its thing. (well i think that's what the girls are waiting on anyway)  it's now time to plant some pumpkins so they will be ready for making Jack-o-lanterns this fall.    There is something new to learn almost everyday.  Like just the other day, Stephen, the girls and I were out in the garden (stephen watering while the girls and I do the real work...shh don't tell him i said that)  pulling weeds.  between the 3 of us girls we pulled a kitchen garbage bag full of grass.  When we were done, I was carrying the bag towards the trash and out of the blue I remembered how much our chickens love fresh green grass.

Happy hens (and a couple of roosters)

 
 
So not only are we working to make our garden look nice and grow well but our chickens are getting a lot of free food.  saving in lots of ways these days and I am learning to love living on our little hobby farm.
Thanks for droping by for a visit.  Have a good day and stay cool out there. im sure it is going to be brutal this summer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year! !

I can not believe how quickly the years pass now that I am inching ever so close to 40.  Some people say "wow I dont know where the year went"  but crazy as it sounds I do know.   It really seems like yesterday Stephen and I were hanging out with some friends waiting to ring in 2013.  And here it is January 1, 2014.  It flat flew by.  At first thought I could think I don't know what happened to the time.  But given a few minutes to ponder it all I remember well what all happened (Stephen always gives me 9 kinds of crap about posting on Facebook or instagram but when looking back they help me remember all the fun we had).  We did some pretty great things in 2013.  We got to travel out of the country for the first time (to 3 different countries), made some new friends, sadly lost touch with some dear friends & got back in touch with some old ones.  Val got her drivers license and Britt started her first year of high school. We had some pretty great adventures and spe

A good time

Yep anytime you get to spend the weekend at the lake is a good time.  My girls and I drove over to mom and dads place on the lake this past weekend (Stephen met us there on Saturday) I wanted to see them as it has been several weeks since the last time I had seen them.  Just wanted to share a few of the silly moments.  ~~~~> This is one of the little girls (forgive me Janae, I still can't tell them apart unless I'm looking directly at their faces.  I'm sorry.  I love them like crazy just can't tell them apart very well) <~~~~This is my girls making our purchase at the Dairy Deal.  This is a MUST when making the drive to Salina for any reason.  I have never had the food there but the ice cream products they offer are out of this world (unless you are a dork like Britt and order dippin' dots...those are just weird) Be careful when ordering a large...they are way too large (especially if you on a diet.  :) ~~~~> Here we are agai

My baby girl

 found this pic, not sure but I believe she was 3 April 12th (yes i know it is the 13th now)...This date in 1999 we welcomed into the world our sweet baby Britt.  She had a bit of a rough time in the first week, but wow look at her now.  She is 12.  Cant believe she is already almost a teen. (yuck)  We were so spoiled with Val that when Miss Britt came along she set our world on edge.  Thats right, she was quite a mess(not sleeping throught the night even to this day she sleep walks) But you wouldn't meet a sweeter, kinder girl.  She has the biggest heart.  Ive been thinking alot about her today with reason, it was after all her birthday.  She got to bring her horse to our pasture this week inlight of her day, so she didn't really seem to mind that I had to work and she had a softball game on her birthday.  As long as she gets to play with Ladybug alittle before the day is over.  She is now fast asleep in her bed(for now) most likley dreaming of her best friend(the hors