Skip to main content

The black hole of unfinished projects

Let me be the first to say that I think maybe I should have been diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit disorder) many many years ago.  Like maybe when I was a little kid but probably even as recently as my married years. I love to make things. And I love to collect items that no longer serve their original purpose that could be re-purposed into something useful again.  The problem I have is I will start something and get distracted (sadly this happens way too often) and the project gets set aside in a closet or another room or the shed but most the time it gets slid into what my Britt has aptly named "the black hole of unfinished projects" (under the big couch) there probably aren't that many projects actually under there but every time we move the furniture she always asks what I want to do with all the things under there and I always say put the back under the couch until I can get to them.  So now I can be working on something or mention a new project and she always gives me grief about how it's just going to land in the black hole under the couch.  So I try really hard not to prove her right.

Anyway there is a reason I started with these ramblings...I walked into Britts room the other day and this is what I found.  A bit of history on this item.  Nanny found this horse shoe wreath at a garage sale several years ago. And when we first moved into our home there was a tons of western decor and I was sure I could use it.  The plan for this item was to put a mirror in it and hang it in the front room.  Stephen mentioned one time that with it being made from real horse shoes that it may be too heavy for that.  So in my head I heard its not useful right now get rid of it.  But I am much like my mother and have a hard time getting rid of anything.   So in the black hole it went.  Until this past week when Britt drug it out and gave it new life as a cute functional jewelry organizer.  I love it like this and it works with the way she wants to decorate her bedroom.   I have a bit of an idea to help make it work better for her so I just need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby for some cork board and some fabric of her choice so she will be able to push her earrings into it as well.

So now there is more room under the couch and one less unfinished project in our home.  Thanks Britt for using your imagination, hopefully now that you've made something the desire to create and reuse things will grow in your heart and head as it has mine.  It makes me giggle though just thinking about how much you are becoming more and more like your mother every day (I ♥ it by the way).  And that maybe one day when you have your own couch you will have your own black hole of unfinished projects your kids can make fun of you for.  It'll be a nice change.  :)

Have any unfinished projects or a stash of them?  How 'bout looking in there and maybe finishing one up...see how it feels.  Just seeing her use one of mine makes me want to finish up something else from in there...I'll post later and let you know how that goes :)

Have a great day!

always
tammyc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A good time

Yep anytime you get to spend the weekend at the lake is a good time.  My girls and I drove over to mom and dads place on the lake this past weekend (Stephen met us there on Saturday) I wanted to see them as it has been several weeks since the last time I had seen them.  Just wanted to share a few of the silly moments.  ~~~~> This is one of the little girls (forgive me Janae, I still can't tell them apart unless I'm looking directly at their faces.  I'm sorry.  I love them like crazy just can't tell them apart very well) <~~~~This is my girls making our purchase at the Dairy Deal.  This is a MUST when making the drive to Salina for any reason.  I have never had the food there but the ice cream products they offer are out of this world (unless you are a dork like Britt and order dippin' dots...those are just weird) Be careful when ordering a large...they are way too large (especially if you on a diet.  :) ~~~~> Here we are agai

Happy New Year! !

I can not believe how quickly the years pass now that I am inching ever so close to 40.  Some people say "wow I dont know where the year went"  but crazy as it sounds I do know.   It really seems like yesterday Stephen and I were hanging out with some friends waiting to ring in 2013.  And here it is January 1, 2014.  It flat flew by.  At first thought I could think I don't know what happened to the time.  But given a few minutes to ponder it all I remember well what all happened (Stephen always gives me 9 kinds of crap about posting on Facebook or instagram but when looking back they help me remember all the fun we had).  We did some pretty great things in 2013.  We got to travel out of the country for the first time (to 3 different countries), made some new friends, sadly lost touch with some dear friends & got back in touch with some old ones.  Val got her drivers license and Britt started her first year of high school. We had some pretty great adventures and spe

Wonderful waste of time

 I tried to warn you that I had so much to tell you... So We have been spending so much time at the hospital with my dad.  I mean we were all there for several days (now we are taking turns-he's doing well and we had to go back to work).  And you know how it is everyone brings something to keep them busy so that they can ward off boredom.  Well Val had been using one of those round loom things that you can knit hats and such.  She had made herself one and while there her knitting caught the attention of one of my nieces (Katie) and she wanted to know how to make one for herself.  So Val being excited to show someone sat down with her and gave her the loom and some yarn and helped her along.  That girl made her whole hat.  She loves it and wears it everywhere already.  Before we knew it Haleigh was in on learning to make hats.  They were having such a good time knitting away while visiting with their papa and all his company.  I mentioned to Val that maybe they could make some