Skip to main content

Pinterest tried it...owl bet you laugh at this one

So it's been a couple of years since I thought to myself that I would make a whole quilt out of cute little yoyos.  You know what I'm talking about, the small circles of fabric that you stitch around the outside and then pull and gather the outside in to the middle (see photo and you will be like "oh yeah, I know what those are")  Anyway when I started forever ago it was such a sweet notion but as I continued to make these little circles and stitch them by hand the more I stabbed my poor fingers with the needle the more I started thinking about quilt size...did I really need a large quilt made from these things?  Nah.  I can just do a small lap quilt, so I continued making them.  That is until I just sat them down one day and didn't pick them back up for nearly 2 years.  And when I did finally pick them back up I got to rethinking my idea about what to do with them yet again, do you have any idea how many two inch yoyos one would need for even a small lap quilt?  Yeah too many to think about.  So I had seen a lamp shade on Pinterest that I was sure I could do but even that seemed like it was going to take forever so back in the bag and into the sewing cabinet they went.  I really don't have that much time to sit and make that many of them by hand anyway and it wasn't something I could work on at work either seeing that the bosses actually want the employees to do work while at work.  Ugh!
Today however I am way out of whack with my sleep schedule and I was awake with hubs he was watching TV and I sat browsing Pinterest when I came across this cute little owl made of yoyos.  I had pinned it a few days ago and had forgotten about it until today.  I got one of those "ah ha" moments and took off to the sewing cabinet, got the all but forgotten bag of yoyos out and sat down and went to work on trying to figure out how the lady made hers.  I mean she is selling these cute little guys on Etsy for $12 each.  It looked fairly easy so I color coordinated my yoyos and started to work.  Now stop laughing, this was a trial run and I only spent about 45 minutes working on it.  After I finished I was quite surprised that it even remotely resembled an owl so that for me was good enough.  I was proud for even trying.  I can see by looking at it that it's not anywhere close to what the other lady made, mine looks like he has been starved nearly to death and his eyes are OMGoodness large  but hey he looked kinda like an owl and now I know what I did wrong if for some crazy reason I feel the need to make more of them.  (I doubt it)  ;-)
Hope this little out on a limb (bahaha pun intended☺) crafty post inspires you to try creating something even if it doesn't quite turn out how you expect it to.  You never know until you try 

Also if you would like to buy one of her cute little owls this is where I found her listing  https://www.etsy.com/listing/184786092/fabric-yo-yo-owl

Thanks for reading

always
tammyc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A good time

Yep anytime you get to spend the weekend at the lake is a good time.  My girls and I drove over to mom and dads place on the lake this past weekend (Stephen met us there on Saturday) I wanted to see them as it has been several weeks since the last time I had seen them.  Just wanted to share a few of the silly moments.  ~~~~> This is one of the little girls (forgive me Janae, I still can't tell them apart unless I'm looking directly at their faces.  I'm sorry.  I love them like crazy just can't tell them apart very well) <~~~~This is my girls making our purchase at the Dairy Deal.  This is a MUST when making the drive to Salina for any reason.  I have never had the food there but the ice cream products they offer are out of this world (unless you are a dork like Britt and order dippin' dots...those are just weird) Be careful when ordering a large...they are way too large (especially if you on a diet.  :) ~~~~> Here we are agai

Happy New Year! !

I can not believe how quickly the years pass now that I am inching ever so close to 40.  Some people say "wow I dont know where the year went"  but crazy as it sounds I do know.   It really seems like yesterday Stephen and I were hanging out with some friends waiting to ring in 2013.  And here it is January 1, 2014.  It flat flew by.  At first thought I could think I don't know what happened to the time.  But given a few minutes to ponder it all I remember well what all happened (Stephen always gives me 9 kinds of crap about posting on Facebook or instagram but when looking back they help me remember all the fun we had).  We did some pretty great things in 2013.  We got to travel out of the country for the first time (to 3 different countries), made some new friends, sadly lost touch with some dear friends & got back in touch with some old ones.  Val got her drivers license and Britt started her first year of high school. We had some pretty great adventures and spe

Wonderful waste of time

 I tried to warn you that I had so much to tell you... So We have been spending so much time at the hospital with my dad.  I mean we were all there for several days (now we are taking turns-he's doing well and we had to go back to work).  And you know how it is everyone brings something to keep them busy so that they can ward off boredom.  Well Val had been using one of those round loom things that you can knit hats and such.  She had made herself one and while there her knitting caught the attention of one of my nieces (Katie) and she wanted to know how to make one for herself.  So Val being excited to show someone sat down with her and gave her the loom and some yarn and helped her along.  That girl made her whole hat.  She loves it and wears it everywhere already.  Before we knew it Haleigh was in on learning to make hats.  They were having such a good time knitting away while visiting with their papa and all his company.  I mentioned to Val that maybe they could make some