Skip to main content

Family secrets

Ok well it probably isn't a secret but it is something that has been handed down from grandmother to mother to daughter to granddaughter in my family. 
I have tried and tried and tried to make my mother's homemade flour tortillas.  And have failed more times than I care to count.  She never measures anything and I can't seem to cook a single thing without following a recipe and using good measurements.
A few years ago my momma taught Val how to make them and she does great but she is nearly 20 and staying home to make flour tortillas is not something that is at the top of her list. 
Today mom and dad are over visiting and we are going to have dinner this evening and needed the tortillas.  Mom was determined I was hoping to learn. 
So as she was not measuring her ingredients I was taking them and trying to measure them out before she added the next ingredient.  I thought I had finally figured out how to measure her tortilla recipe.  It looked right (kinda) I mixed and mixed trying to get it ready to roll out.  But it just didn't look right and mom said it was too dry and stiff the dough wasn't soft enough.  I rolled one out and cooked it to prove I had gotten it right by measuring everything.  After the first one finished cooking all I could do was admit defeat.  It was too dry and cooked up even dryer.  YUCK!  (Like eating Sheetrock or something)  So I thought I would just add some water and it would soften up.  Nope.  That made it super gooey and nasty.  Had to throw it out and start fresh.  I did not measure a single thing just dumped things in a bowl and mixed away just like she does.  Guess what?  It was perfect.  The dough, the rolled out tortilla and it cooked up just like mommas would.  Tasted like heaven with butter on it. 

Now, those of you close to me know mommas health hasn't been the best and I worry every day something is going to happen and I won't get to learn all the things I still need to learn from her.  Today I ticked one of those things off my list but it is such a long list she had better be around for another 100 years.  Can't wait for dad to try these tortillas to see if they compare to moms.  ☺
Thanks momma for teaching me how to be a good wife and mom.  I wouldn't be able to do any of this stuff if it weren't for everything you have taught me.  I love you more than you will ever know.

Thanks for reading.

always
tammyc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A good time

Yep anytime you get to spend the weekend at the lake is a good time.  My girls and I drove over to mom and dads place on the lake this past weekend (Stephen met us there on Saturday) I wanted to see them as it has been several weeks since the last time I had seen them.  Just wanted to share a few of the silly moments.  ~~~~> This is one of the little girls (forgive me Janae, I still can't tell them apart unless I'm looking directly at their faces.  I'm sorry.  I love them like crazy just can't tell them apart very well) <~~~~This is my girls making our purchase at the Dairy Deal.  This is a MUST when making the drive to Salina for any reason.  I have never had the food there but the ice cream products they offer are out of this world (unless you are a dork like Britt and order dippin' dots...those are just weird) Be careful when ordering a large...they are way too large (especially if you on a diet.  :) ~~~~> Here we are agai

Happy New Year! !

I can not believe how quickly the years pass now that I am inching ever so close to 40.  Some people say "wow I dont know where the year went"  but crazy as it sounds I do know.   It really seems like yesterday Stephen and I were hanging out with some friends waiting to ring in 2013.  And here it is January 1, 2014.  It flat flew by.  At first thought I could think I don't know what happened to the time.  But given a few minutes to ponder it all I remember well what all happened (Stephen always gives me 9 kinds of crap about posting on Facebook or instagram but when looking back they help me remember all the fun we had).  We did some pretty great things in 2013.  We got to travel out of the country for the first time (to 3 different countries), made some new friends, sadly lost touch with some dear friends & got back in touch with some old ones.  Val got her drivers license and Britt started her first year of high school. We had some pretty great adventures and spe

Wonderful waste of time

 I tried to warn you that I had so much to tell you... So We have been spending so much time at the hospital with my dad.  I mean we were all there for several days (now we are taking turns-he's doing well and we had to go back to work).  And you know how it is everyone brings something to keep them busy so that they can ward off boredom.  Well Val had been using one of those round loom things that you can knit hats and such.  She had made herself one and while there her knitting caught the attention of one of my nieces (Katie) and she wanted to know how to make one for herself.  So Val being excited to show someone sat down with her and gave her the loom and some yarn and helped her along.  That girl made her whole hat.  She loves it and wears it everywhere already.  Before we knew it Haleigh was in on learning to make hats.  They were having such a good time knitting away while visiting with their papa and all his company.  I mentioned to Val that maybe they could make some