Skip to main content

DIY Fabric Spray Starch

Around this time last year I was in the sewing room a lot using a lot of fabric starch to get the fabric nice and crisp for sewing to get the best possible seams.  After buying a couple of bottles of Best Press fabric starch (around $7.00 for a 16oz bottle) I decided that there had to be a less expensive way to get the results I wanted.  So I called on every crafty (and not so crafty) gals trusty old friend Pinterest.
Typed in a few key words...

Starch
Fabric starch
Diy spray starch
Diy starch

And before I was sucked into a wormhole that has me completely sidetracked I found several home recipes for what I was looking for.  There really are a lot some using corn starch some using vodka.  I went with one of the many with vodka in it.  No not because I wanted to sip it occasionally.  But mostly because I didn't believe it would work.
I made a trip to the local spirits store and got the cheapest bottle I could find (less than $7.00 for a small bottle) and returned to make up some of this wonderful concoction the ladies in the quilting blogs were raving about.

Mixed up a small batch to test it out.

1 part vodka
3 part water
a couple drops of essential oil

Made a super small batch enough to fit in a 20 ounce water bottle.
Took this to the sewing room and went to work on some fabric. 
What AMAZING results!!
Yes that's right it worked as well as any store bought spray starch.

What it didn't do:
It didn't stink like alcohol.
It didn't leave flakes on the fabric.
It didn't cost a ton of money.

I kept the small bottle of vodka in the laundry room and would mix up a small batch when I ran out in the sewing room.  I just last week used up the last of that bottle.  It lasted just under a year.  Did you catch that?  Almost a years worth of spray starch for just under 7 dollars.
I knew I needed to make up some more so this week I went to the store again and this time I picked up a much larger bottle (for 13 dollars) and made up a gallon of spray starch.  I use lavender essential oil in mine because I like that scent.  This gallon will last geez who knows how long and when it runs out I still have half a bottle of vodka to make up another gallon.  So $13.00 for what will seem like a never-ending supply of quilting spray starch.

Hope you enjoy this tip and if you try the diy starch recipe please come back here and let me know how it worked for you.  I would love to hear from you.

**this could be used for any ironing not just while pressing quilt seams.  It works great on my family members clothes as well.**

Thanks for reading

always
tammyc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year! !

I can not believe how quickly the years pass now that I am inching ever so close to 40.  Some people say "wow I dont know where the year went"  but crazy as it sounds I do know.   It really seems like yesterday Stephen and I were hanging out with some friends waiting to ring in 2013.  And here it is January 1, 2014.  It flat flew by.  At first thought I could think I don't know what happened to the time.  But given a few minutes to ponder it all I remember well what all happened (Stephen always gives me 9 kinds of crap about posting on Facebook or instagram but when looking back they help me remember all the fun we had).  We did some pretty great things in 2013.  We got to travel out of the country for the first time (to 3 different countries), made some new friends, sadly lost touch with some dear friends & got back in touch with some old ones.  Val got her drivers license and Britt started her first year of high school. We had some pretty great adventures and spe

A good time

Yep anytime you get to spend the weekend at the lake is a good time.  My girls and I drove over to mom and dads place on the lake this past weekend (Stephen met us there on Saturday) I wanted to see them as it has been several weeks since the last time I had seen them.  Just wanted to share a few of the silly moments.  ~~~~> This is one of the little girls (forgive me Janae, I still can't tell them apart unless I'm looking directly at their faces.  I'm sorry.  I love them like crazy just can't tell them apart very well) <~~~~This is my girls making our purchase at the Dairy Deal.  This is a MUST when making the drive to Salina for any reason.  I have never had the food there but the ice cream products they offer are out of this world (unless you are a dork like Britt and order dippin' dots...those are just weird) Be careful when ordering a large...they are way too large (especially if you on a diet.  :) ~~~~> Here we are agai

My baby girl

 found this pic, not sure but I believe she was 3 April 12th (yes i know it is the 13th now)...This date in 1999 we welcomed into the world our sweet baby Britt.  She had a bit of a rough time in the first week, but wow look at her now.  She is 12.  Cant believe she is already almost a teen. (yuck)  We were so spoiled with Val that when Miss Britt came along she set our world on edge.  Thats right, she was quite a mess(not sleeping throught the night even to this day she sleep walks) But you wouldn't meet a sweeter, kinder girl.  She has the biggest heart.  Ive been thinking alot about her today with reason, it was after all her birthday.  She got to bring her horse to our pasture this week inlight of her day, so she didn't really seem to mind that I had to work and she had a softball game on her birthday.  As long as she gets to play with Ladybug alittle before the day is over.  She is now fast asleep in her bed(for now) most likley dreaming of her best friend(the hors