Skip to main content

Christmas Spirit


Even October the cat is showin' his Christmas spirit   :)

It seems like it has been a few years since I last felt the Christmas spirit in my heart.  I'm sure it stems from losing the rock of our family (in both my family and Stephens family)  I had always heard people say that when the mother of the family passes the the family just falls apart.  I have now lived that in both of our families and I firmly believe it to be true.
Now my family does try to do a huge Christmas dinner and such but with everyone going here and there to see all the in laws (& outlaws) we very seldom are ever all together at the same place at the same time.   And our family has multiplied so much that we stopped giving individual gifts a long time ago, relying on a version of the dirty Santa gift swap game.  I don't know about you but I like to give gifts.  They don't have to be crazy expensive gifts but I enjoy the though process that goes into giving individual gifts and I miss that.
It's this time of the year that I miss my grandma the most because she was the glue that held us all together our rock our tradition.  Without her it really just isn't the same. (but we try) 

There is much to be said about Stephens family but not here and not by me. While she was ill and in the hospital the sisters had already began coming unglued and after her passing it just got worse rather quickly. And here 13 years later they don't hardly speak to each other, never mind spending a nice holiday together.(it kinda split down the middle)  His family is so out of touch with each other that my daughter saw her great aunt a few nights ago at the school only to ask me later if said aunt "don't like me anymore"  I didn't have answers for the questions she was asking but did inform her that said aunt and the rest of the aunts family was missing out because my Brittnie is a pretty amazing girl and everyone should know her like I do.  It really breaks my heart.

So Christmas spirit for me has been so limited in the past that I made a choice this year to just let all that mess not get me down. I am going to cook, bake, sew, play (& sing along with) Christmas music and buy gifts and not worry about the drama.  (say a prayer for anyone who may hear me sing...I really am horrible)

The girls put the tree up for me this year while I was gone to work.  It was a nice surprise to walk in the door and be greeted by all our Christmas memories hanging on the poor little tree that we are using this year.  Our nice big tree finally seen its last Christmas last year and we are using a small one my parents used for years.  They are happily living at the lake in their 5th wheel and had to buy a little table top tree. (thank goodness or we wouldn't have had one this year) 

I know it is already the 8th and I have only purchased 1 gift and a couple of stocking stuffers, but I plan to spend time this week completing it all and relax and spend the rest of the month baking or sewing or ya know go to whatever Christmas party or get together pops up.

I have so much Christmas spirit this year that I even livened up my blog.  Hope it puts a smile on your face

Well until later.

Remember why we celebrate (not for gifts and food)  but for the birth of Christ and enjoy every minute of this wonderful season.

Feel free to share what traditions really get you into the spirit of Christmas, I would love to hear about them all.

Thanks for stopping by, have a great day.
tc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year! !

I can not believe how quickly the years pass now that I am inching ever so close to 40.  Some people say "wow I dont know where the year went"  but crazy as it sounds I do know.   It really seems like yesterday Stephen and I were hanging out with some friends waiting to ring in 2013.  And here it is January 1, 2014.  It flat flew by.  At first thought I could think I don't know what happened to the time.  But given a few minutes to ponder it all I remember well what all happened (Stephen always gives me 9 kinds of crap about posting on Facebook or instagram but when looking back they help me remember all the fun we had).  We did some pretty great things in 2013.  We got to travel out of the country for the first time (to 3 different countries), made some new friends, sadly lost touch with some dear friends & got back in touch with some old ones.  Val got her drivers license and Britt started her first year of high school. We had some pretty great adventures and spe

A good time

Yep anytime you get to spend the weekend at the lake is a good time.  My girls and I drove over to mom and dads place on the lake this past weekend (Stephen met us there on Saturday) I wanted to see them as it has been several weeks since the last time I had seen them.  Just wanted to share a few of the silly moments.  ~~~~> This is one of the little girls (forgive me Janae, I still can't tell them apart unless I'm looking directly at their faces.  I'm sorry.  I love them like crazy just can't tell them apart very well) <~~~~This is my girls making our purchase at the Dairy Deal.  This is a MUST when making the drive to Salina for any reason.  I have never had the food there but the ice cream products they offer are out of this world (unless you are a dork like Britt and order dippin' dots...those are just weird) Be careful when ordering a large...they are way too large (especially if you on a diet.  :) ~~~~> Here we are agai

Wonderful waste of time

 I tried to warn you that I had so much to tell you... So We have been spending so much time at the hospital with my dad.  I mean we were all there for several days (now we are taking turns-he's doing well and we had to go back to work).  And you know how it is everyone brings something to keep them busy so that they can ward off boredom.  Well Val had been using one of those round loom things that you can knit hats and such.  She had made herself one and while there her knitting caught the attention of one of my nieces (Katie) and she wanted to know how to make one for herself.  So Val being excited to show someone sat down with her and gave her the loom and some yarn and helped her along.  That girl made her whole hat.  She loves it and wears it everywhere already.  Before we knew it Haleigh was in on learning to make hats.  They were having such a good time knitting away while visiting with their papa and all his company.  I mentioned to Val that maybe they could make some